I just finished all the lectures and quizzes for the online Artificial Intelligence class I've been taking! Right now my thoughts are jumbled, as seen in the info-graphic that I did with this wonderful Wordle tool, but a few quick thoughts...
- It scaled to an enormous size (160,000 students signed up for it!)
- It's free (seriously, entirely free!)
- It will hopefully disrupt education delivery mechanisms. (Why should students pay $100,000 to listen to some windbag has-been drone on in a lecture hall when the premiere experts in the field want to share their expertise via the Web, for free?)
- It's global. Most students are from the US, Europe, and India, but quite a few are from other parts of the world too.
- It's essentially realtime, with deadlines for homework, specific hours to do tests, etc. Note that this is different than just watching a set of videos from a past class.
- There are two discussion groups: a Q&A one, and a reddit one.
- There were office hours and Google+ hangouts.
- Advanced: video lectures, quizzes, homework, midterm, and final exam
- Basic: video lectures, quizzes